Photography news 23 August 2022
New in this newsletter:
*Photography awards in June and July
*Winners of the photo challenge #cold
*New photo challenge #horns
*Mini photo challenge #campfire
SA Hunters Amateur Photography Competition
Our April competition had 62 entries of which 34 received awards. Congratulations to the following members it that received gold in various categories: Pierre van der Berg, Edmund Hatting, Rachelle van Niekerk and Ronny Horstink.
View the June photo album at June
During May we received 66 entries of which 24 photographs received awards. Congratulations to the following members that received gold in the various categories: Pierre van der Berg, Ronny Horstink and Pieter Jordaan.
View the June photo album at July
Members that earned gold, silver, and bronze certificates, will find it on their member profile pages. We also send members a digital certificate for every winning photograph by e-mail. Members can order gold, silver, or bronze badges (similar to the shooting badges) through their branches.
The categories in the 2022 Amateur Photography Competition are:
1) Fauna en Flora DSLR/mirrorless
2) Fauna en Flora Smart Phone
3) Branch activities DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone
4) On the Shooting Range DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone
5) The Hunt DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone (people and animals during the hunt, but not photographs of hunted animals. Send your photographs of trophy and hunted animals to email@example.com for Bokspog in SA Jagter/SA Hunter. REMEMBER to adhere to firearm and hunting safety measures when taking photographs under these circumstances.)
The descriptions of the themes and the updated rues are available here.
NB: Only send one photograph at a time that must include the following information:
- Name and surname
- SA Hunters member number
- SA Hunters Branch
- Mobile number
- E-mail address
- Entrance category
- Location where photograph was taken
- Title of photograph
- Camera and lens model (lens not applicable for mobile phones)
(Tip: Cut and paste the 9 requirements above in your e-mail text box of every entry)
- Photographs must be 300dpi and bigger than 2MB but smaller than 10MB.
- All meta data must be visible.
- Smart phone photographs must by aspect ratio 3:4 wees. Full frame photographs are not accepted.
- Smart phone photographs must be taken without filters and special effects.
SA Hunters Photography Club
The SA Hunters Photography Club boasts 2211 members. The club’s official communication is on Facebook for now. Click here to join the Facebook-group. You are welcome to invite others to join.
The Photography Club’s Facebook highlights can be viewed on SA Hunters website under Photo Club here.
Click here to view etiquette and Facebook-rules.
- Photo challenge
#cold – June/July:
The theme for the June/July photo challenge was #cold. We received 75 entries in this round.
The top 30 gallery is here on Facebook and here on the SA Hunters website.
The winner of this challenge is Rikus Fourie with his photograph of ice crystals on grass against a backdrop of the sun. Click here to view the winning photograph on Facebook.
#horns – Augustus/September:
The theme of our August/September photo challenge is #horns. Any horns, from the smallest to the largest animals in Afrika with horns.
- The rules for the photo challenge are simple:
1) it must be a photograph of anything that is unique to your hometown: nature, people, your place of work, culture, landmarks, monuments, etc.
2) one photograph per entry or upload
3) there is no restriction on the number of entries or uploads per member
4) participants must be members of SA Hunters and/or of the SA Hunters Photography Club
5) it must be your own photograph
6) label the photo #mytuisdorp (it makes it easier for admin to find all the entries at the end of the month)
7) entries must include the following information:
Title of photo
- Place where it was taken
- Date of when it was taken
- Camera or smart phone model
- Camera settings (F-stop, ISO, shutter speed), not for smart phones.
SA Hunters members that do not have a Facebook profile but who wants to enter the challenge, can enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org or send your photographs with the relevant information required and your personal details to the same e-mail address #horns in the subject line.
At the end of September admin will select the best photographs and share them on the Facebook group page and in the gallery on the website. This gives members two months to participate in this round. Members choose the winner. The winner will receive a book prize, sponsored by SA Hunters. The title of the book will be announced in October.
- Photography Cover Page
Every second week, admin selects a new photo for the cover page of the Photography Club’s Facebook page. Members are understandably delighted when their photographs are chosen for this prime spot. It also helps to keep the posts lively and interesting.
Admin looks for horizontal photographs that are simple yet striking with sufficient space for wording to be added. Members are welcome to share their photographs. Remember to label then with #coverpic.
The current cover page photo was taken by Christa Heymans. Click here to view the photograph on Facebook.
To view previous photographs not mentioned in the newsletter before:
Click here for Boetie Kirchner’s photo on Facebook.
Click here for Gerhan Archer’s photo on Facebook.
- Photography Mini Photo Challenge
It is still cold. What is better than a cosy fire with friends, whether at home or in the bush? Please note that this is not a competition, and there is no winner. This is merely an opportunity to share your photographs on the Photography Club’s page. Label it with #campfire. Click here for the Facebook link.
POPI Act on Communication
Members of SA Hunters can select their options here to manage receipt of their monthly photography newsletters. The newsletter will still appear under general for a while but will soon be distributed from the news category for Photography.
Direct all photography related queries to Marette Bennett at email@example.com or phone 082 553 4719 during office hours.
SAJWV-SAHGCA Photography administrator and coordinator