Photography news 20 June 2022
New in this newsletter:
*Photography awards in April and May
*Winners of the photography challenge #myhometown
*New photo challenge #cold
*Mini photography challenge #goodfood
SA Hunters Amateur Photograph Competition
We received 60 entries in April, of which 28 were commended. Congratulations to the following members that won gold in the various categories: Pierre van der Berg, Taryn Engelbrecht, JN Wright en Edmund Hattingh.
Click on the link to view the album on the website: April
During May, we received 53 entries of which 41 photographs received awards. Congratulations to the following members that achieved gold in the various categories: Pierre van der Berg, Rachelle van Niekerk, Ronny Horstink, Leon du Plessis and Renier Groenewald
Click on the link to view the album on the website: May
Members that earned gold, silver, and bronze certificates, will find it on their member profile pages. We also send members a digital certificate for every winning photograph by e-mail. Members can order gold, silver or bronze badges (similar to the shooting badges) through their branches.
The categories in the 2022 Amateur Photography Competition are:
1) Fauna en Flora DSLR/mirrorless
2) Fauna en Flora Smart Phone
3) Branch activities DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone
4) On the Shooting Range DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone
5) The Hunt DSLR/mirrorless/smart phone (people and animals during the hunt, but not photographs of hunted animals. Send your photographs of trophy and hunted animals to firstname.lastname@example.org for Bokspog in SA Jagter/SA Hunter. REMEMBER to adhere to firearm and hunting safety measures when taking photographs under these circumstances.)
The descriptions of the themes and the updated rues are available here.
NB: Only send one photograph at a time that must include the following information:
- Send entries with the information below to email@example.com:
- Name and surname
- SA Hunters member number
- SA Hunters Branch
- Mobile number
- E-mail address
- Entrance category
- Location where photograph was taken
- Title of photograph
- Camera and lens model (lens not applicable for mobile phones)
(Tip: Cut and paste the 9 requirements above in your e-mail text box of every entry)
- Photographs must be 300dpi and bigger than 2MB but smaller than 10MB.
- All meta data must be visible.
- Smart phone photographs must by aspect ratio 3:4 wees. Full frame photographs are not accepted.
- Smart phone photographs must be taken without filters and special effects.
SA Hunters Photography Club
The SA Hunters Photography Club boasts 2116 members. The club’s official communication is on Facebook for now. Click here to join the Facebook-group. You are welcome to invite others to join.
The Photography Club’s Facebook highlights can be viewed on SA Hunters website under Photo Club here.
Click here to view etiquette and Facebook-rules.
- Photo challenge
#myhometown – April/May:
The theme for the April/May photo challenge was #myhometown for which we received about sixty entries.
The top 25 gallery is here on Facebook and here on the SA Hunters’ website.
The winner of this challenge was Rachelle van Niekerk with her fantastic photograph of two owls perching on an irrigation point near Hartswater against a spectacular sunset. Click here to view the winning photograph on Facebook.
#cold – April/May:
The theme for the June/July photo challenge is #cold. We are all feeling the cold weather, but nothing stops us from taking photographs! The cold weather conditions provide different scenes and landscapes, such as a frost covered hunting ground or shooting range, ice crystals on vegetation or a fence. Show us what you do to keep warm.
- The rules for the photo challenge are simple:
1) it must be a photograph of anything that is unique to your hometown: nature, people, your place of work, culture, landmarks, monuments, etc.
2) one photograph per entry or upload
3) there is no restriction on the number of entries or uploads per member
4) participants must be members of SA Hunters and/or of the SA Hunters Photography Club
5) it must be your own photograph
6) label the photo #mytuisdorp (it makes it easier for admin to find all the entries at the end of the month)
7) entries must include the following information:
Title of photo
- Place where it was taken
- Date of when it was taken
- Camera or smart phone model
- Camera settings (F-stop, ISO, shutter speed), not for smart phones.
SA Hunters members that do not have a Facebook profile but who wants to enter the challenge, can enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org or send your photographs with the relevant information required and your personal details to the same e-mail address #cold in the subject line.
At the end of July admin will select the best photographs and share them on the Facebook group page and in the gallery on the website. This gives members two months to participate in this round. Members choose the winner. The winner will receive a book prize, sponsored by SA Hunters. The title of the book will be announced in August.
- Photography Cover Page
Every second week, admin selects a new photo for the cover page of the Photography Club’s Facebook page. Members are understandably delighted when their photographs are chosen for this prime spot. It also helps to keep the posts lively and interesting.
Admin looks for horizontal photographs that are simple yet striking with sufficient space for wording to be added. Members are welcome to share their photographs. Remember to label then with #coverpic.
The current cover page photograph was sent in by Marius Taljard. Click here to view it on Facebook.
To view previous photographs not mentioned in the newsletter before:
Click here for Rachelle van Niekerk’s photograph on Facebook of the two owls at sunset near Hartswater
Click here for Stephnie Maree’s photograph on Facebook of her hometown, Clarens.
- Photography Mini Photo Challenge
When it is cold, we enjoy being spoiled with comfort food. Show us what you are preparing in the kitchen, on the braai outside or in the veld. Any photographs that depict cooking in your kitchen, on the braai, or baking during the cold winter months are welcome. Please note that this is not a competition, and there is no winner. This is merely an opportunity to share your photographs of your favourite meal preparation on the Photography Club’s page. Label it with #goodfood. Click here for the Facebook link.
POPI Act on Communication
Members of SA Hunters can select their options here to manage receipt of their monthly photography newsletters. The newsletter will still appear under general for a while but will soon be distributed from the news category for Photography.
Direct all photography related queries to Marette Bennett at email@example.com or phone 082 553 4719 during business hours.
SAJWV-SAHGCA Photography administrator and coordinator