Renewal application must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the expiry of current firearm licences.
The list below is a guideline of the documentation that you will need to submit with your firearm licence renewal application. Please note that your local designated firearms officer (DFO) may have slightly different requirements and may request additional information.
- SAP 518(a) application form
- Annexure A, filled in per firearm
- 2 x copies of identity document
- 2 x passport size photos – coloured
- Proof of residential address
- Copy of training certificates (proficiency); SASSETA or statement of results.
- Copy of current relevant competency certificate
- Section 15 - occasional hunter/sportshooter : 2 X hunting / sportshooting letters
- Section 16 - dedicated hunter/sportshooter: Copies of valid section 16 status
- Clear colour photographs of the safe in which you will be storing the firearm. Photos must show:
- Full exterior (door closed);
- Full interior (door open); and
- Close-up of fastening bolts of the safe.
- A comprehensive motivation per licence application
- R70 cash per licence renewal
- Any additional documentation that will support your renewal application
SAHGCA member supporting documentation
- Copy of latest SAHGCA membership certificate. This is downloadable from the Member Administration system.
- Endorsement of suitability per firearm (request from national office)
- Members with dedicated status: Letter of good standing (request from national office)
- Where applicable, a copy of you Hunting and Shooting Activity Log and SAHGCA shooting scores. This is downloadable from the Member Administration system.
If the original document is not presented, all copies must be certified.
If the renewal application is submitted at least 90 days prior to the expiry of the current licence, your current licence will remain valid.