Prior to applying for a competency certificate the applicant must successfully complete the relevant proficiency training at an accredited training centre.
The applicant must be a South African citizen.
The applicant must be 21 years of age or older (unless there are compelling reasons for the person to obtain competency for a firearm licence)
The list below is a guideline of the documentation that you will need to submit with your competency certificate application. Please note that your local designated firearms officer (DFO) may have slightly different requirements and may request additional information. Prepare copies beforehand as most SAPS offices do not have facilities to make copies of your documents.
- SAP 517 application form
- 2 x copies of identity document
- 2 x full colour passport size photographs
- Proof of residential address
- Copy of training (proficiency) certificates; SASSETA or statement of results.
- 3 x written testimonials (Some DFOs will have a prescribed form for this)
- Clear colour photos of the safe in which you will be storing the firearm. Photos must show:
- Full exterior (door closed);
- Full interior (door open); and
- Close-up of fastening bolts of the safe.
- R 70 cash
If the original document is not presented, all copies must be certified.