Why become a member of SAHGCA?
SAHGCA, better known as SA Hunters, was established in 1949, making it the oldest hunting and conservation association in South Africa that looks after the collective interests of conservationists, hunters, sport shooters and firearm owners.
SA Hunters has been accredited with the SAPS as a hunting and sport shooting association, which authorises it to grant and administer dedicated hunter status, dedicated sport shooter status and -more recently- also professional hunter status.
Represented nationally by 79 branches and more than 42 000 members, it has the largest footprint of any hunting and conservation organisation in South Africa.
To date SA Hunters is the only association which, over the past 9 years, successfully brought High Court applications against the SAPS to preserve the right to own firearms (despite the last negative outcome in the Constitutional Court).
SA Hunters has taken leadership in many areas within the wildlife sector, including promoting responsible hunting.
The association's Head office is situated in Pretoria at Inyathi Park -home to the largest collection of South African and international game trophies- where our experienced and qualified friendly staff are always willing to assist our members.
What does SAHGCA do for its members?
- Encourage and promote game and nature conservation; and establish hunting and conservation as interdependent and inseparable activities
- Liaise and co-operate with the authorities towards fair and suitable legislation in wildlife management and conservation, hunting and meat processing and on the ownership and use of firearms by hunters and sport shooters
- Promote and organise hunting and shooting opportunities that will encourage members to develop an interest in hunting and shooting activities
- Promote the image of hunters and sport shooters among all interested parties
- Liaise with relevant local and international organisations in meeting the objectives of SAHGCA and promoting members' interests
- Create an environment where members can participate in social activities that are related to hunting, sport shooting and conservation
- Deliver outstanding service to members
Tangible benefits to members
- 12 editions of SA Hunter magazine per annum
- Public liability insurance of R20 million to cover incidents related to shooting and hunting
- Discounted entry fees at HuntEx, the annual expo by hunters for hunters
- Discount on purchases for a number of products from identified suppliers-including any new Ford or Toyota Hilux vehicle. For the complete list click here.
- MyBonus/AgriBonus membership and benefits
- Easy online access for members to manage their SAHGCA profile (shooting scores, achievements, activity log etc.) via the web or our Android app.
- Support with hunting licences/permits and meat transport/import permits
- Support with firearm licence matters
- Endorsements for firearm license applications issued within 24 hours
- Dedicated status issued within 48 hours after receipt of properly completed application and supporting documentation
- All branches offer dedicated hunter and sport shooter training towards achieving dedicated status, which is requirement in terms of the Firearms Control Act for anyone wishing to own more than four firearms
- Training for Range officers and Trophy measurers
- Monthly social meetings on branch level, as well as social activities for our youth